WARNING the following post contains whining.
So you may remember that in February I went through a very difficult episode of depression and anxiety. At the time, we were in the process of buying our beautiful new house. I remember laying in bed, in a fog of anxiety, trying to figure out how to get out of the contract we had on the house. The idea of packing up, moving just up the road a bit, and selling the condo literally felt like trying to move heaven and earth, and I just didn't have it in me.
Thankfully, the Lord saw fit to lead me out of the fog and placed our family in this wonderful home. We love our house. However, my crash now marks a frustrating starting point. We have had a one long continuous stream of bad luck beginning with that episode. I'll spare you all the details, but here's a list of all the things (that I remember) that have gone wrong since February.
-We've had 3 different refrigerators in the new house, purchased 4. Thankfully we got most of our money back and only paid for 1 fridge plus $200 we couldn't get back on one fridge and a botched (not really our fault) rebate we'll not be getting.
-The condo (which we couldn't sell and had to lease out) got hit by the first hail storm. The whole community is getting new roofs, windows, and various smashed up details.
-Same hail storm dinged up my car -- can't really complain about this one too much; we got a nice check and are not getting the car fixed, so we just get to keep the money.
-Daryl's on the board of the condo community. I'll spare you the details, but things over there have gotten pretty nasty a time or two over the last few months. This one has caused me the most angst of the whole list and taken me to the Lord in desperate prayer more than once.
-The condo's toilets backed up on our dime (thankfully no water damage). Plumber found packing tape stuffed down inside. Our tenants are great, and we're confident they didn't stuff the toilets.
-The master toilet in the new house has had some curious episodes, but as yet has not needed repair.
-Our church family went through a particularly painful episode that brought our small group in particular to tears and to our knees.
-Our 200+ pound television went out. We've had two new TVs since.
-Oven went out (love the new one).
-AC had to be serviced.
-Disposal went out.
-Hail storm #2 hit the new house and totalled our roof. Nothing like paying the deductible on a brand new home owner's policy.
-Bought a new lawn mower. It went out after 2 months. Our new lawn service comes tomorrow.
-Dryer went out.
-Hot water heater went out. Had it serviced today. Good news, he replaced a part that was still under factory warranty! We still don't have hot water, though. He'll be back tomorrow.
-The maintenance light in my car is on.
Daryl and I have literally taken inventory of what appliances and electronics could still possibly go out! Our dish washer and microwave are both still in working order, but they're both a bit broken.
I warned you there'd be whining! I do feel like we're holding our breath waiting for whatever's next, but I know the Lord is with us. I know He placed us in this house. Perhaps He's using all this to teach us something. If so, pray we'd learn faster. Perhaps he's trying to grow us and our marriage. If so, pray we'd grow quicker! Regardless we don't feel abandoned. We can only chuckle as each new challenge pops up, and I have the distinct feeling that He has been laughing with us. I know He's comforted me when I've been frustrated, in tears, and in prayer.
I also know if we're going to have trouble, this is the kind of trouble we want. Our kids, are happy, healthy, and bring us so much joy. Relationships with our extended family have rarely been better. Daryl's job is about as firm as it can be in this economy. Our marriage is strong and happy. We'll celebrate our 7th anniversary next week, and there's no itching. :)
Thank You Lord for Your provision, grace, mercy, and blessings.
July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



5 comments:
Wow, Diana, that's a lot! Praying for you guys... Sounds like Murphy moved in to your spare bedroom.
I know how you feel. It seems like when it rains it pours. Noel and I have to laugh as well, but sometimes I ask God if He can laugh with someone else and just let us be the boring people for a while.
I'm so sorry all of that has happened. I'll be praying for peace for y'all.
Continuing to pray for y'all! What a crazy year it's been so far!
Hoping that the next 6 months are MUCH calmer (and less expensive)! ;o)
I love how you added that the maintenance light in your car is on for that added "umph". The maintenance light is always on in our cars. Don't worry, it's usually for somthing mundane like "your tires need new air". All joking aside, you'll be in our prayers. Sounds like you've been keeping positive on FB. That's good. You've got lots of prayer.
-Liz
Post a Comment