Here are two articles I came across yesterday. They both reinforced some of how Daryl and I choose to parent our kids, but they also reminded me that too often I get lazy and let things slide.
(click on the red links to see the articles)
TV Brynna saw very little TV as an infant, not much more than the morning news in the background of our morning routine. The same has been mostly true with Lane as well, but of course Mom and Dad are usually less vigilant with kid number 2. This article reminded both of us of why we think it's important to limit or eliminate TV time for our kids, even if it's just background noise.
Praise
This one could have come right out of some of my play therapy text books. I know this stuff. As a teacher, I saw much evidence of what too much sugary praise can do to stunt both character and intellectual growth. This article was a good reminder, and convicted me that I am often lazy in my encouragement towards my kids.
July 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Great articles. I just picked up a book on how to "Maximize your child's potential, Healthy Brain Development in a Media Age". You can't get away from it, but how to raise them the healthiest way with all of the high tech stuff that they are still exposed to. It's good.
Thanks for sharing the articles.
-Jessie
Post a Comment