I have a lot of SAHM friends. Unusual, I think, but I am blessed to have so many friends with whom I have so much in common. In conversations with other moms, stay-at-home or not, the discussion often turns to worries and anxieties about whether we're doing the right things for our kids.
The list of worries is long:
sleep training
cloth vs. disposable diapers
nursing vs. bottle feeding
TV time
organic vs. regular food
homemade vs. jar food
carry them in the baby bucket, in my arms, a sling, or (gasp) put them in the shopping cart
are they meeting their cognitive and physical milestones
pre-school or no pre-school
decisions about public, private, or home school
finding the best public school, private school, or homeschooling curriculum
when to move to a big bed
when/how to get serious about potty training
reading enough to them
teaching them to share
deciding how to handle discipline
teaching them to love and walk with the Lord
laying a firm foundation for their character
battling the sensuality and ugliness of today's culture while not crippling them by being over protective
battling entitlement
You all know the list goes on and on and on. So many times the moms I talk to (myself included) seem preoccupied with figuring out the "best" way to raise their children. Often they seem overwhelmed and sometimes even defeated by the pressures they (we) put on themselves (ourselves).
So I have decided it's time to look at what I do well, and I'd love to hear/read what my other mommy friends think they do well too. This isn't meant to be boastful. I am fumbling through this mommy thing, and I can honestly say that the only things I do well are the Lord's work and answer to prayer.
1. My kids love each other. Brynna loves being Lane's sister, and he thinks she's the funniest person on the planet.
2. My kids are good sleepers. Lane sleeps about 13 hours at night and a total of 3.5 hours in naps. That's big since lane was not a good sleeper for the first 3 or 4 months of his like (he got up every 1.5 hours for weeks and weeks). Brynna sleeps 12 at night and takes about a 2 hour nap about half the time. She's outgrowing her nap, but on days she doesn't nap, she plays quietly in her room...usually.
3. My kids are pretty good eaters. So far Lane turns nothing down, and Brynna knows" she doesn't have to like it, but she has to eat her dinner." We do get a lot of, "I don't like it," but she will eat what we ask of her. And she likes things I never would have touched as a kid, including salmon, broccoli, artichokes, meatloaf, chicken spaghetti, and more.
4. Lane is still little, but I can see in Brynna's face that she knows I love her so very much.
5. I'm good at making and keeping my kids on a schedule, giving them structure and stability.
6. So far I think Daryl and I are doing a good job with discipline. Brynna's a little bossy (maybe more than just a little), but she's a good kid.
Okay, that's it. All I can think of right now. I have to say that number one is my favorite.
Now I REALLY want to hear from my other mom friends. What do you ladies do well? Have you thought about it? I think you should, and I'd love to read about it. You can leave a comment if you don't blog. Blogging is NOT required to be a good mom! :)
June 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I'm a good blogger. And a good blog reader. And commenter... ;) I'll think of something about me to post later. What a great idea! You could add that to your list - good idea-er. You gather and implement lots of really cool creative traditions and activities with your kids. Plus you and Daryl have a visible love that lays a great foundation for both Lane and Brynna. Oh, I could go on.
**Putting my "safari" first
**Teaching my children what consequences are and that God loves them
**Loving my "safari" and making sure that I show that and teach them to show that to each other
**Great with schedules
**Always do the chores and computer things when the "safari" sleeps.
**Taking care of the house
I think that is all for now. I try to be a proverbs 31 wife.
I also blog so that my "safari" can laugh at all the things that they did to Noel and I.
I always thought the key to raising kids was to let them know that, no matter what, their parents loved them - unconditionally.
Since I'm your mom, I must have gotten something right because you are doing a super job.
Post a Comment