That day we only had time to tour the campus. We had a quiet dinner at a very nice restaurant on site and turned in early to the hotel. Something in my dinner had some serious hidden carbs, and my blood sugar read almost 350 (it's supposed to be under 120). I literally could not keep my eyes open. I e-mailed my nurse, and she didn't seem too concerned, since it was just a one time thing.
On day six we headed back to the Academy to visit the cemetery. My Gramps (Mom's dad) graduated from West Point, as did his father. They are both buried there along with my great grandmother and great uncle (Gramps' brother). Gramps died when I was a junior in high school, and I haven't been back to West Point since the funeral. It's been about 14 years.
Gramps' grave
My great grandparents' and great uncle's graves.
Brynna hugging Gramps' grave stone. She did this all on her own, and his was the only one she felt compelled to hug. It was a very sweet moment.
Placing some flowers.
We had the florist place the pink rose in the middle to be especially from Brynna. Gramps would have loved being Great Gramps.
We'll have to go back another time so Baby Boy can see too. I think he was listening hard, but it's just not the same from inside Mommy's tummy.
After our trip to the cemetery we took a little cruise down the Hudson and saw the Academy from the water. It was a nice leisurely laid back outing.
The three of us cruising the Hudson.
A nice shot of West Point.
It was sad, and I missed Gramps as we toured the campus and cemetery. However, even more sad to me was a row of fresh graves on the very edge of the cemetery. They were all recent graduates who had given their lives in Iraq. They were all younger than Daryl and me, some were even younger than my brother (he's 24).













2 comments:
What a wonderful and moving post, especially for Memorial Day. Thanks for sharing!
the picture of Brynna hugging the grave stone is one of the sweetest pictures i've seen.
Post a Comment