May 19, 2008

We're Back

We were on vacation to New York/New Jersey all last week. We had a fabulous time being tourists and visiting family. The only bad thing about vacation is the huge to-do list that always awaits when you get home! I want to post all about our trip, as well as get our pictures up on Picasa. I'm going to post a day at a time rather than trying to do one massive post. That way, in between posts, I can do laundry and all the other things you have to do to get back in the swing after a big trip .


Just a quick update on my diabetes. They've now got me on four shots a day. That's the max number of shots, but they continuously adjust the dosage of each one when my glucose numbers start inching up.

I am proud to say that I can now do all my shots myself. My wonderful, patient, gentle, husband did all of them at first. Thank you Daryl! My mom even got roped into doing a few when Brynna and I visited over a weekend. But now I feel like an old pro. It helped too when my doctor ordered needles about half as long as my originals. They were a half inch long. Now they're only about a quarter inch.

My friend Catherine asked about where I take my shots and which finger I prick. All the shots go into my tummy. The needle is very short, so of course there is no danger to the baby. Each shot should be at least one inch away from the last, so I rotate all over my tummy. I rotate which finger I prick as well, when I can remember which finger I did last.

At my apt. today, the nurse told me that, even though my glucose numbers have been much higher, there's a good chance this baby could be smaller than Brynna, because I'm using insulin. I have no idea how that works.

Check back soon for a recap and pictures from the first few days of our trip.

3 comments:

Sadie J said...

Can't wait to see your pictures!

You are very brave and strong for doing all of your shots yourself. Good job and hang in there!

cheryl said...

Can't wait to hear more about your trip. What a drag about those shots! You're such a trooper!!! Keep hanging in there, and way to go you for giving them to yourself!

Teresa said...

Every time I read the word "shot" (or worse..."shots") I shiver! (or is it shudder? - either way I'm doing it)

I can't believe you're doing them yourself too! Way to go, friend!

Looking forward to pics of your travels.