April 14, 2008

The Price of Salmon

So Salmon is a pretty big staple at our house. I went to HEB this afternoon to pick up some things for dinner, including a little Salmon. Well, the price of salmon today is $8.99 or $9.99 a pound, depending on the type of salmon you want.

When I got home, Brian Williams did a story on the salmon industry. Apparently there are few to no salmon to be found this year from Oregon to Mexico, and they don't seem to know why. All salmon fishing on the west coast has been called off, probably for the remainder of the season. It sounds like a tragedy on many levels environmentally and economically.

So the reason I bring this up here is to let anyone who cares know about an alternative for your dinner table. Steel head trout is nearly identical to salmon and, I think, tastes just as yummy. I honestly can't tell the difference, though Daryl says he can sometimes. I bought some tonight and it's still priced at $5.99 a pound. Even when salmon prices are normal, steel head trout is usually a dollar or two cheaper.

No comments: