March 29, 2008

The Concert

Well the long awaited and much anticipated concert was last night. They didn't play Valleys Fill First. Overall it was a good concert. They played a lot of their old stuff, and it brought back some fun memories. But, I have to say I was pretty bummed about my song. The chances of ever hearing it in concert now are pretty slim. For those of you that don't know, there are four different people in the band that sing, well really three. derek Webb left the band about 6 years ago to pursue a solo career. He and Caedmon's ended up on the same record label recently. derek was invited to do some songs on the band's newest album and is touring with them right now, but it didn't sound like he's officially back in the band. Well, Valley's is a Cliff, Danielle, AND derek song, and it wouldn't sound right (to me) if derek's part were sung by any of the other guys. So you can see why, I think this was probably my last chance to hear the song live. Sigh.

I was not the only one disappointed last night. My friend Marti, who is not a Caedmon's fan, read my letter posting and was apparently almost as excited as I was hoping they'd play Valley's. This morning Daryl was checking my e-mail on the laptop in bed, and he said, "It sounds like Marti tried to attack the band last night." I rolled over and said, "huh?" Here's the e-mail Marti sent last night after the show (the green is her writing, the black is my explanations):


Ok, so I enjoyed the concert, but was a bit miffed that they didn't play "Your song". Of course, I couldn't remember what it was as I am not nearly the caliber of fan that you are. Rob spent about ten minutes searching your blog on his iphone until we came up with the title. Not being extremely familiar with the songs, he was then instructed to let me know when it played for you. I was SURE they would play it with such a small crowd..... Our sanctuary holds 600, and it was totally packed.

So, I walked out into the parking lot being a bit disgruntled about how they "dissed my friend". Rob suggested we leave them a somewhat nasty (in a friendly way) note and just let the air out of their tires (not actually slash them, as that would be cruel and unchristian like). But, I hate to jump to conclusions on just whom to hang (maybe they didn't get the email????) and that is when Cami came out with someone else's name badge and told us of how she snuck in to get a peak at the band with her contraband name tag. She graciously offered it to me so that I could get to the bottom of the chain of blame, but Rob, Brian, and Melanie were all against it. I know who my friends are now, don't I? Rob being my ride back to my car, I had to decline the offer from Cami.

On the way home, I notified Rob that his fun factor was dipping low and that had I been able to actually sneak in the "band room" it would have made for a better evening by way of a good story. So, after he dropped me off at my car that was left at the restaurant, he agreed to go home and pay the sitter while I attempt another way to sneak into the "after party".

As luck would have it, I ran into the lead worship guy (from our church), Mike, at the door letting in a few of the last stragglers who were permitted to see the band. He asked if I had access and I told him I would if he would let me in. :) Then, I proceeded to explain to him that he may actually be the one that I needed to see (or hang... details....). He stated he did remember the email you sent him and he wasn't sure if he sent it on or not. However, if he had, it would have been to the wife of one of the members, as she is the manager and person he was dealing with. (I cc'd my original e-mail to Mike mostly because I thought he might get a kick out of it, and I wanted him to know how excited I was that he'd gotten Caedmon's to come to our church. I also knew he was our contact with the band, but I never asked him to forward it on to anyone else, and I sent the e-mail to the band's website listed e-mail myself.) He then proceeded to explain to me that they were already worried that the show was going to go too long and that may be a reason to not add another song. I wasn't satisfied with his answer, and needed further evaluation....

So, I went upstairs and Mike pointed out the lead guy to me (I think he was the one in the dark blue shirt and hat... he had taken his hat off and looked much shorter up close.....) (I'm pretty sure she's talking about Cliff Young here). He was speaking with two collegeish guys and his "number one fan". ("Number one fan" was called up on stage to play the trash cans during Thankful as the last song of the night. If you've read my letter, you'll know why this hurt a little bit. Anyway "Number One Fan" was described as the band's first fan. I can give him that, when the band first started, I wasn't listening to Christian music yet... Actually now that I think about it, it was Caedmon's that first got me into Christian music... but that's another story.) I asked if I could interrupt on behalf of a friend of mine and inquired if he ever received the email. He said he didn't remember off hand (which I'm taking means he didn't get it.... how could your words be forgotten???? Such a literary masterpiece with heart and emotion......). He then asked the name of the song and I had to confess I wasn't his biggest fan. (Although I did enjoy the music and let him know I was appreciative). I said it was something about water going into a creek or something. (Marti, I was laughing out loud with tears in my eyes when I got to that part.) Then, he asked the "super fan - Tim" "What is your favorite song that you request for every single concert?" To which he broke out into song with "Valleys fill first". The lead guy then explained to me that he can't even probably remember more than the first couple of verses and that they only sang it on one tour (but not even that whole tour, and not at the concerts I went to). "Tim" kept singing and I teased him that the lead guy should have at least given "Tim" the chance at an acapella rendition tonight. They just all laughed. More teasing ensued (After talking to Marti on the phone, it sounds like part of this "more teasing" included Marti telling Cliff that the crowd hadn't really been very "into it" anyway and pointing out that everyone sat for almost the whole time, and playing my song would at least excited several people in the crowd who read my blog.) and he ended up giving me a "Bit O' Honey" from his pocket. He assured me it was "fresh" and hadn't been in his pocket all night. So, I saved it as a memento for you. I'll be out of town for bible study this week, but Rob has been instructed that it is for you. :)

So, it's not a good answer, but it's an answer. It wasn't that he didn't feel you were important enough to sing "your song" (which I continue to be a bit miffed about...(Me too)). It's just that he doesn't know it and doesn't think it's a good "concert song". As if the crowd was really "feelin' it" tonight anyhow. I really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say the place was "rockin". Rob just says it's all about perspective and it wasn't Buffett, it was a very "white" crowd instead. I argue that Buffett is pretty white as well, but with a mix of weed and alcohol, it gets a little more active (Marti is a huge Buffett fan, though I don't know if she's one of the weed/alcohol mixers). :)I hope you have a great evening and can rest well knowing that I care enough to sneak "back stage" to get you some answers! (Seriously, do friends come any better than that?)

Love you,Marti


So folks, I guess that is that. Barring some miraculous turn of events, I guess hearing Valleys live is not going to happen for me. I'll have to settle for blasting it in the living room and dancing with my little girl... That's not too bad either.

1 comment:

Chris DeGarmo said...

This confirms what I've suspected for a long time... Marti is stark raving mad. :-)