February 19, 2010

Crash

You probably heard about the plane crash in Austin yesterday. The building hit is no more than 100 yards from the children's building of our church. Here is a pictorial post of the area to give you an idea. Lane and I were supposed to be there at 10:00 am yesterday to help prepare supplies for the children's Sunday school. However, Lane had a rough morning, so I decided to let him get a nap in before we left. That meant we didn't leave the house until 10:15. The plane struck the building at 9:56. By the time Lane and I made it to the area, the emergency responders already had the whole area shut down. There was no way into the church. We couldn't even really get close. I heard later that my friends working in the children's building felt the whole building shake when the plane hit. They were evacuated. I don't know how long they had to remain in the area or if they were questioned, but I am so glad I wasn't there with my little boy (Brynna was at pre-school).

Two bodies were recovered from the building last night. One is presumed to be the pilot and the other is likely the one office worker listed as missing all day yesterday. Two or three workers were transported to local hospitals. Please say a prayer for these people and their families. Please also pray for the pilot's wife and step daughter. Before flying his plane into the building, he burned down their home as well.

No comments: